[ale] OT Google's cute animation drives tablet cpu hard

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jun 21 13:49:34 EDT 2013

On 6/21/2013 1:25 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 06/21/2013 12:47 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> Google has a cute little animated graphic on it's home page today.  Some kids in a pool with waves going by.  That's all well and good, except that it drives my tablet cpu to 50% just continually repainting the thing.  I have scripting off, so I guess the only way to turn it off is to avoid that web page.  I've seen amazon pages do similar things which are probably related to flash, but, I currently have flash off as well.
>
> It's the oldest animation technology there is: animated gif.  Nothing
> more than a sequence of frames that have a delay in them.
>
> If that takes 50% of your device's CPU, I'd be worried about the
> software you're running on it.
>
>     --- Mike

Hi Mike T.,

Just running an Acer A500 Android tablet with Dolphin web browser.
According to a quick search on the web, the tablet has a dual core, 1000
MHz, ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and 1 GB ram.  They just upgraded the Dolphin
software, and it seems slower than before at loading pages.  I cannot
say how the old Dolphin would react to this gif file since I've never
had a chance to test that.

This animated gif doesn't seem to bother my Firefox on my pc at all.  Of
course, my smallest pc that I normally use has a dual core 2 Ghz (I
think) pentium cpu and 8 GB of ram.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier