[ale] OT Fwd: Dc404-Chat New smart locks for your home

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jun 20 14:12:50 EDT 2013

That stuff looks pretty cool.  May end up needing it.  I found this
information about enhanced drivers' licenses.  I don't think GA has
implemented them yet, but they do have an rfid circuit.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

<quote on>

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of  identity
and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include
technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a
low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from
Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in
addition to serving as a permit to drive.

The Department has been working with states to enhance their drivers
licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under
the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
<https://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/whtibasics.shtm>, effective
June 1, 2009. The states of Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington
are issuing these enhanced drivers licenses.

Enhanced drivers licenses make it easier for U.S. citizens to cross the
border into the United States because they include

    * a vicinity Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
      <https://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/gc_1197652575426.shtm>
      chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic
      and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border
      inspection booth, and
    * a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can
      read electronically if RFID isn't available.

The top 39 land ports of entry, which process more than 95 percent of
land border crossings, are equipped with RFID technology that helps
facilitate travel by individual presenting EDLs or one of the other
RFID-enabled documents.

<quote off>

Might have to get some of the special shielding fabric you mentioned for
my DL or a special pouch like I already have for my passport.  It's
probably a crime to "vandalize" that card and deactivate the chip.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.