[ale] ALE as business partner?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 15:33:12 EDT 2013

HA!

Linux geeks are more focused on the project/task/learning potential and are
not as easily swayed by food bribes.

or they have much worse ADHD...

Bring out the booze and all bets are off.

Hmm. screw the vi vs emacs! Lets have an IRON LIVER competition between
windows weenies and unix wizards!

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013, leam hall wrote:
>
>  Jim, understood. On the other hand, the ALE Jobs list is a great resource
>> for recruiters. They
>> would probably pay a little to subscribe. Maybe more if the person was
>> "vetted" by peers.
>>
>> That said, where the money goes and how to define "vetted" is up for
>> grabs. I'm much better at
>> helping people plot a course for improvement than figuring out how to
>> build a business.
>>

> The local (grumble grumble..) .NET/ASP users group often has a regional
> recruiting company as a sponsor. At a minimum, they show up with pizza and
> beverages and get a short plug at the meeting. Sometimes they are involved
> with or support the costs of the guest speaker. I haven't been for a while,
> but during a few months there seemed to be competition between Modis and a
> couple of other agencies and the offers to be a sponsor got fairly plush.
> ie: Food, beverage, a respected industry speaker, schwag and demo software
> to give away...
>
> When I was involved in AITP and ASTD, similar things happened.
> I miss the days of "death by chocolate" being sponsored by Cisco.
>

> We've tried this at Chugalug's, but it has not worked out the same.
> Different social and professional group? Less organized?

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain