[ale] ALE as business partner?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Jun 18 15:11:35 EDT 2013

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013, leam hall wrote:

> Jim, understood. On the other hand, the ALE Jobs list is a great resource for recruiters. They
> would probably pay a little to subscribe. Maybe more if the person was "vetted" by peers.
>
> That said, where the money goes and how to define "vetted" is up for grabs. I'm much better at
> helping people plot a course for improvement than figuring out how to build a business.

The local (grumble grumble..) .NET/ASP users group often has a regional
recruiting company as a sponsor. At a minimum, they show up with pizza and
beverages and get a short plug at the meeting. Sometimes they are involved
with or support the costs of the guest speaker. I haven't been for a
while, but during a few months there seemed to be competition between
Modis and a couple of other agencies and the offers to be a sponsor got
fairly plush. ie: Food, beverage, a respected industry speaker, schwag and
demo software to give away...

When I was involved in AITP and ASTD, similar things happened.
I miss the days of "death by chocolate" being sponsored by Cisco.

We've tried this at Chugalug's, but it has not worked out the same.
Different social and professional group? Less organized?