[ale] Linux in 1 GB RAM

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jun 18 14:38:06 EDT 2013

Ron, your A500 **definitely** has a GPU. That is why it can handle 720p and
sometimes 1080i video.  Use any software-based video decoder to see that it
cannot handle anything over 592p with the ARM CPU.  I've performed extensive
testing for a work project on this.  BTW, I have the exact same tablet - A500.

Almost any distro should run fine in 1GB of RAM.  It is just the GUI that needs
to be swapped out.  Avoid Unity (the default for Ubuntu), but XFCE, LXDE and any
pure-window manager setups will work great in 1G of RAM.

I've run Ubuntu/LXDE in 512MB on many Pentium4-class machines. It worked fine.
The key is to avoid Unity, Gnome3, and the higher-cheese-factor GUIs that major
desktop vendors seem to be pushing the last 2+ yrs.

There is no need to throw out an entire distro just because of the GUI used.
Swapping GUIs is about 3 minutes to install something different, then a
logout/login referencing the different GUI is all it takes.

DSL and Putty have historically used the root account for everything. That is a
terrible choice.  If you want something small that runs on 64MB of RAM and
screams on 1G, then try one of the TinyCore variants.

I've attempted to use Android x86 and while it worked, it felt extremely limited
compared to the power of a full-OS.  However, it is a fun all-day project just
to see how it works.