[ale] Android development tutorial?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Jun 17 23:42:28 EDT 2013

On 6/17/2013 10:09, Alex Carver wrote:
> I wasn't planning on any type of push notification (and certainly NOAA
> doesn't support it).  I really only planned on having the application
> sleep, wake (probably by an alarm method), pull the updated XML file
> from NOAA, then render it and go back to sleep.

Looks like the emulator worked on the work machine with a little
struggling.  But I can see quite the learning curve.  Several examples I
tried crashed or failed to compile properly and the documentation isn't
completely clear on how things work.  I'll just keep plugging along at
it (maybe one of these days I can get a machine at home that has the
horsepower to run the emulator).

The first example was one to take text from a text box and open a new
screen when a button is pushed.  That worked.  The second example was a
list but it didn't work.  None of the examples I've found show a list as
a part of an application, they all show the list as the sole element so
I was left to interpret how things worked.  I got a list mostly
functional displaying static data but adding a button caused the
emulator to crash.