[ale] [ANNC] ALE-NW Notes

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jun 16 09:51:17 EDT 2013

At the last ALE-NW UN-meeting, we discussed all sorts of interesting topics
after the tornado warning passed.  I hope everyone's trip home was uneventful
and their homes and families were all safe.

During the meeting, it was requested that we begin _Basic Desktop Security_
training.  I offered a few links to get everyone started. Here's the Ubuntu link
mentioned: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

At the meeting in July, we'll start with an overview of that webpage to explain
it more clearly.

FYI, for those who couldn't attend the meeting, we demonstrated a full XBMC
system with Navi-X and FreeCable plugins and a remote control. Everyone's
questions were very interesting.  The link for my specific setup is here:
http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/06/xbmc-install-and-config-howto-for-linux.html
  Again, this page is for a specific APU/GPU setup.

In July, we will have a short review of my transcoding (MPG to h.264/mkv)
script. There are certainly better scripts, but this is "good enough" for my
needs and has been in-use, unchanged, almost 2 yrs.

We also discussed repositories and why being careful with non-official
repos/PPAs is important. A current story for Debian, Ubuntu and Mint desktop
users:
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Users-warned-to-remove-Debian-Multimedia-repository-1888493.html
  Check that your package updates are signed to mitigate this risk.