[ale] OT- Sorta:Lightworks video editor: Another missing piece for Linux

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Sat Jun 15 14:58:55 EDT 2013

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> "Open source" doesn't mean free to use for non-commercial purposes.  Many
> commercial software titles with highly restrictive licenses are "open source."
>
> Look at all the "open core" projects that withhold key parts necessary for
> the software to be useful.  Many of these projects are useful with just the
> open core parts, which is nice.
>
> We really need a BSD or GPL or apache or MIT style license from these folks.
>
> I will take a look at those EDL capable editors.  The current solution in use
> here is nearly 100% automatic. Thanks.

Oh, I'm not disputing that. It's not the [mis]use of the terminology that bugs
me, really. I've just been following Lightworks since their initial announcement
2 years ago (in which they do promise code). They got a lot of positive
response from that and quite a bit of interest from users and developers
interested in participating and contributing to the project. They got good PR,
a pool of free beta testers, and increased the size of their user database
with emails and other minor personal data. In return, those of us who
participated got platitudes and, after a couple years, a beta of a port to Linux
(I'm not sure of the status of their MacOS port).

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal, but I feel that they've
mis-spent the good will they'd accumulated since their initial announcement.