[ale] what should I do when resizing ext4 partition

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 13:49:51 EDT 2013

I use LVM for all but /boot. So swap is a logical partition. That way I can
tune the size of it as required.

Additionally, for laptops, I can encrypt the entire PVM so swap is also
encrypted for situations where the laptop hibernates.

I have found that hibernations requires 1+X RAM for proper use. Not much
more than 1X but enough to fully write out all of RAM plus a tiny bit extra
used to tell the kernel to restore from swap. That will change if swap is
actually used for a long-running process. 1.2 - 1.5 X RAM seems fair. Hard
drives are cheaper than RAM anyway :-)

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.