[ale] what should I do when resizing ext4 partition

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jun 11 10:57:47 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

Thanks for these tips.  With all the partition resizing and uuid
changing, I didn't know how radical to get rebuilding the swap
partition.  The system is running now, but, if the need arises again,
I'll probably try the commands you listed.

I know it's been mentioned before to some extent, but could you (or
anyone) comment on the virtues of using a swap partition versus using a
swap file.  Windows uses a swap file.  Years ago I had Ubuntu running
with a swap file using a procedure I found online.  When I installed
Mint recently, I set up a swap partition just because it's easier.
These days, I generally set the swap space as 1X RAM on Linux and 2X RAM
on Windows.  If I have the money, I try to put 8 GB of RAM in right off
the bat.  That gives the system lots of breathing room.  The one big
advantage of a swap file, versus a swap partition, is that it's much
easier to expand it later.

Sincerely,

Ron