[ale] what should I do when resizing ext4 partition

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 11 09:43:55 EDT 2013

"Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> writes:

> On the Linux side of the fence, the boot loader was indeed broken.  I
> used the Ubuntu boot repair disc which rebuilt grub for me.  Mint then
> booted fine, but the swap partition was not active according to system
> monitor.  I used gparted to delete and recreate the swap partition,
> then rebooted.  The swap was still not active.  I looked at the
> /etc/fstab file and found in the comments that you can use blkid to
> read the UUID of each partition.  I also found that the UUID was wrong
> for both the / partition and the swap.  I'm not sure how the system
> booted in this case, but I'm not complaining.  I changed the UUID for
> both entries in the fstab file to the correct number for the / and
> swap partitions respectively and rebooted again.  This time, the swap
> partition was working.

Ah, most likely the was Acronis did it was to actually mkfs new
filesystems on the new drive, which generated new UUIDs, instead of
doing a 'dd' and then fs-resize.  That would explain the UUID changes.

As for the swap, depending on what acronis did you might just need to
"mkswap" to re-initialize the swap partition.  You shouldn't need to
erase and recreate the partition..

-derek