[ale] what should I do when resizing ext4 partition

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Jun 10 19:22:26 EDT 2013

Hi Chuck and JD,

Thanks for your replies.  I'm not using LVM unless Mint installs it by default.  As far as I know, I'm not.  The acronis true image software will have already resized all the original partitions, including the ext4 one, except the swap, essentially doubling their size.  After altering the partition boundaries, true image will have copied all the data on the NTFS partitions and adjusted the master boot record of the drive.  I don't think it will have any problem booting windows.  It popped up a warning that I would have to repair the boot loader for linux, so I know it knows linux stuff is there.  It will have copied the data, at the very least, in the ext4 mint partition.  It may have copied the data by actually manipulating the ext4 file system, or it may have just copied each sector on the old partition to the new larger partition.  I have no idea what it did with the swap file.

So, just to sum up, the partitions have already been resized at the level of the disk partition table and the data has been copied by the cloning procedure.  I didn't know if any internals of grub or the ext4 file system would be unhappy about being relocated to their new home and having new boundaries and possibly sector numbers.  So, I didn't know if there is anything else I should do before trying to boot the system.

Sincerely,

Ron