[ale] [OT] how do I monitor the "weather" in my computer room

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jun 7 20:11:35 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Hip Hip Hurray!

I finally got my remote "weather" monitoring system running.  It was NOT
easy.  I spent all day (thus far) rewriting and editing scripts and,
among other things, troubleshooting problems with commands that require
sudo and funky web page formatting from netcat.  Thanks to all for the
relevant and specific tips you provided.  I wouldn't have been able to
do this without your help in any reasonable about of time.  I can now
monitor the temperatures inside my downstairs computer from a web
browser on my upstairs computer as long as they're on the same wifi
router.  I can even monitor it from my tablet.  Very cool!

I have implemented a number of the tips you all gave me.  Many different
script files are involved, which I hope to post before next week, so
others can benefit from the information.  I have also been working on
other technologies, including running spinrite to test a hard drive in a
vm while I'm doing other things with the computer, which was not
possible for me before.  I wrote another post about that.

You might find this interesting.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/master-control.png

This is what I call my master control screen on a second monitor.
That's where I keep track of a number of things I have going on in the pc.

Here's what each window does numbering from left to right:

Top Row:

window 1: monitors litecoin mining
window 2: monitors the cpu cores
window 3: spinrite running in a vm - YEA! (very slowly - BOO!)

Middle Row:

window 4: litecoin wallet
window 5: monitors local gpu 1 - mainly temperature
window 6: monitors local gpu 2 - mainly temperature
window 7: monitors local weather radar - so I can shut down if storms
are coming

Bottom Row:

window 8: monitors litecoin pricing
window 9: monitors temperatures in the basement computer - YEA!

Reestablishing all these things when I reboot is a major pain, so I try
not to do so too often.

I'm very pleased with the results today, although I had hoped it would
go faster.  All the screens auto update.  For the ones that are browser
based, I make extensive use of an auto update plugin for firefox and of
the ability to scale the web page in firefox by hitting the ctrl- and
ctrl+ keys.  I then size the window to fit the image.

Here's the plugin: http://reloadevery.mozdev.org/

There is one bug in my temperature monitoring system.  On any particular
refresh of the web page for the Bugs01 machine, it displays the web page
that was active at the time of the previous refresh.  I'm assuming that
netcat precaches the file it will be transmitting when it starts and
then waits for a request.  I'm not too worried about it since I have the
web page refreshing every 1 minute.  On the server side, it generates a
new temperature.html every 15 seconds.  So, the data I'm seeing on the
screen could be up to 2 minutes out of date depending on the timing of
the refresh cycle.  That's ok for my purposes.

A side effect of having this display is that I can tell if the Bugs01
clock is wandering.  I haven't set ntp up on that one yet.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,

Ron