[ale] [OT] how do I monitor the "weather" in my computer room

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jun 6 23:38:23 EDT 2013

Hi Scott, Alex, and all,

Thanks for the recent suggestions.  I now have a crude and rude, quick
and dirty, and somewhat ugly solution running.  But ... it is running,
which is very cool.  Anyone is welcome to use these scripts.

I first created a script to read the sensors and create a simple crude
html data file.  I didn't worry with tables.  I just use raw text and
paragraph markers.  The hddtemp command must run as sudo, and pulls its
password from a text file.  I don't know if that's the best way to
handle it or not, but it works.

-----------------

checktemps file

#!/bin/bash
cd ~

echo '<html>' > temperature.html

echo 'Bugs01 Temperatures' >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

date >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

echo 'CPU - ' >> temperature.html
sensors | grep 'temp1' >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

echo 'HDD1 - ' >> temperature.html
sudo -S hddtemp /dev/sda < pw.txt >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

echo 'HDD2 - ' >> temperature.html
sudo -S hddtemp /dev/sdb < pw.txt >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

echo 'GPU0 - ' >> temperature.html
sudo aticonfig --adapter=0 --odgt >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

echo 'GPU1 - ' >> temperature.html
sudo aticonfig --adapter=1 --odgt >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

echo 'GPU2 - ' >> temperature.html
sudo aticonfig --adapter=2 --odgt >> temperature.html
echo '<p>' >> temperature.html

echo '</html>' >> temperature.html

----------------

By the way, even though scripts run without an extension in the file
name, is it normal to use an extension?

I then execute the checktemps script every 15 seconds with:

watch -n 15 ./checktemps

Then I use the nc command (starting it by hand) to serve up the data
file when requested on a port number other than the default.  This must
also run as sudo:

while true; do sudo nc -l 56789 < ./temperature.html; done

I enter the following address of my basement computer in a web browser
on the same subnet:

http://192.168.81.134:56789/

I get the following:

---------------------

browser result on special port

Bugs01 Temperatures
Thu Jun 6 22:57:36 EDT 2013
CPU -
temp1: +43.0°C (high = +70.0°C)
HDD1 -
/dev/sda: ST9320320AS: 25°C
HDD2 -
/dev/sdb: ST95005620AS: 27°C
GPU0 -

Adapter 0 - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Sensor 0: Temperature - 82.00 C
GPU1 -

Adapter 1 - AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
Sensor 0: Temperature - 79.00 C
GPU2 -

Adapter 2 - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Sensor 0: Temperature - 70.00 C

-----------------

So, it works.  What's weird is that it's actually showing the source
text of the html file.  However, if I do the same thing on port 80, it
actually formats as a web page and looks like this:

browser result on port 80

Bugs01 Temperatures

Thu Jun 6 23:18:55 EDT 2013

CPU - temp1: +43.0°C (high = +70.0°C)

HDD1 - /dev/sda: ST9320320AS: 25°C

HDD2 - /dev/sdb: ST95005620AS: 28°C

GPU0 - Adapter 0 - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series Sensor 0: Temperature - 81.00 C

GPU1 - Adapter 1 - AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Sensor 0: Temperature - 81.00 C

GPU2 - Adapter 2 - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series Sensor 0: Temperature - 71.00 C

--------------------

So, I'm getting there.  There are still a few problems though:

A) If I let nc run on port 80, I get a properly displayed web page in
the browser.  If I don't, I get a display as if I'm looking at the page
source.

B) The sudo authorization for the nc command expires and then my web
page no longer loads.

C) I don't have an autostart sequence running yet.

D) Sometimes, if I happen to retrieve the file while it's being written,
I get an incomplete result.

E) I cannot CTRL-C to terminate the window with the nc running in it.  I
have to force close that window.

Anyway, like I said, getting there.

Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron