[ale] [OT] how do I monitor the "weather" in my computer room

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jun 3 17:48:45 EDT 2013

Oooo...

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 15:13 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 17:47 -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I have a computer in a downstairs room that runs all the time. The
> > processes I have it doing generate lots of heat; and there is no hvac
> > thermostat there. There is a heating / air vent and return though, so
> > it gets some air circulation. I need to monitor the temperature in the
> > room from upstairs.

<< SNIP >>

> If you want to "roll your own" these are some decent DTH22 1-Wire
> temperature / humidity sensors that will interface directly to a
> Raspberry Pi or Arduino and claim an accuracy of .1 (presumably C) and
> only set you back $11 per sensor.  Doesn't say what the accuracy of the
> humidity part of the sensor (hygrometer) is but the precision is down to
> +- 1%.  Relative humidity is a real iffy thing to measure and calculate
> and a "sling psychrometer" is still the gold standard.  In most cases,
> the accuracy of your temperature sensor will bear a direct impact on the
> accuracy of your hygrometer.

> http://www.amazon.com/Appliance-Digital-Temperature-Humidity-Measurement/dp/B00CDHH3WQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3CMJ5PZC70J2O&coliid=I3D7WBJ9139NAW

Now here's an idea for monitoring your data center.  A Roomba!

Strap a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to that sucker with a WiFi USB plug and
add one of those DHTC22 devices for temperature and humidity and let it
roll!

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/ibm-roomba-data-centre-heat-emc-117925

There's several other Roomba robotics projects you could combine that
idea with.  :-)=)

I can just imagine this thing rolling around a big data center...  :->=>

> You just gotta wire'm up and rock and roll.

<< SNIP >>

> Seriously, +- %5 is not bad considering what you're measuring.  You
> could move from one end of a room to another and vary by as much as that
> just due to airflow and temperature differentials.  You're not dealing
> with chemical engineering here.  Most of the time, if you're not drawing
> static sparks or condensing moisture, you're probably in the ball park
> on that one.
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> > Sincerely,
>
> > Ron
> >

> > --
> >
> > Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9 Mail.
> > Please excuse my potential brevity if I'm typing on the touch screen.
> >
> > (PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you might want to
> > call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
>                                                              quickly.)
>

> > Ron Frazier
> > 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> > linuxdude AT techstarship.com
> > Litecoin: LZzAJu9rZEWzALxDhAHnWLRvybVAVgwTh3
> > Bitcoin: 15s3aLVsxm8EuQvT8gUDw3RWqvuY9hPGUU

Regards,
Mike