[ale] rpm's src vs binary and the confusion

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Jun 3 15:31:43 EDT 2013

" Also, tomcat is not really built as in gcc or cc or whatever aka no make or configure."

Mostly true, however there is an optional native part, found in the "[tomcat-root]/bin/commons-daemon-native.tar.gz" file. If you're creating a Tomcat binary RPM it would be a good idea to compile this, as it allows you to have Tomcat listen on port 80/443 (or a port <1024) directly without running Tomcat as root. You don't need this if you're running Tomcat behind Apache HTTP, but for example WebRTC won't work proxying through ajp.

Scott