[ale] Service account allows sudo but no login

Michael Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Jul 31 09:23:43 EDT 2013

So a little more on this at a lower level, in the event that anyone is interested. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept originally and I can't imagine that I am alone there.

User accounts and their ID numbers are nothing more than an agreement between user space and kernel space. For example, it is possible to hand UID numbers out and attach them to files and other objects, even when the user doesn't exist. A program running as root need not authenticate a user---or may authenticate a user by some means other than the system default---before handing a process that credential to be its very own.

With the UID space being 32-bits wide now, it can be used for things such as assigning identifiers in a cryptographic manner that can be verified by another system (and allow for uids to be tied together at a higher level).

The most important part is that to the kernel, it is just a number. Nothing more. It is nothing special. And for that matter, this is how it is on virtually all multiuser systems. The UID is something that is created and provisioned by a user space application, but managed and checked by the kernel.

Sent from my iPhone