[ale] v2v

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jul 30 13:59:33 EDT 2013

On 07/30/2013 01:08 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I need to work with v2v, is there a good start
>
> I have the guide
>
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/V2V_Guide/index.html
>

> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/pdf/V2V_Guide/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-V2V_Guide-en-US.pdf
>
>  I was wondering if anyone know a good step-by-step how to use it.
>
> I am working to Xen-to-KVM.

I did the xen-to-KVM switch last year.  Good VM backup, install a new OS into
KVM, restore from the Xen backup into the KVM version.  My backups just include
the list of packages, settings, and the data - not the entire OS. At restore
time, I worked backwards, data, settings, then reinstall the packages from the
list.  dpkg rocks completely.

I never found any tool that would handle all the strangeness perfectly.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2012/06/23/new-kvm-vm-host explains the method.

Since migrating the servers, all the issues with Xen-based VMs have stopped. KVM
has been a joy to use in comparison. No worry that a VM will not boot after a
kernel update or being forced back 1 or 2 kernels to get a booting system. Yep,
life has been good under KVM.