[ale] [OT] Cars and licensing... (Was: Re: Well, this does nothing for the reputation of Linux)

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 16:54:42 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at naunetcorp.com>wrote:

>  On 07/22/2013 03:54 PM, Sparr wrote:
>
> No, I won't. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, observing cross
> traffic stopping does NOT provide effective evidence that I am at a
> four-way flashing-red, *especially* in Atlanta which is the weirdest
> stop-for-flashing-yellow-lights city I've encountered.
>
>  If I am at a flashing red light and both directions of cross traffic
> have stopped, is it "clear" for me to proceed? If I proceed in that
> situation, and one of the people who was stopped at a flashing yellow also
> proceeds, and we collide, who is at fault?
>
> In either event, the first violator of the protocol is the one who is
> cited, sometimes with others if there is a complex chain resulting.  If
> people are stopping at a blinking yellow, then they have violated the
> protocol.  The result of the protocol violation is going to be a
> collision—it could be a rear-end (possibly chain) collision, or a collision
> indirectly caused by the violator by falsely giving everyone else the
> impression that it's a four-way stop and then they don't check for
> themselves

Unfortunately, this is not how the situation is enforced, and thus not how
people are practically required to handle it. If I stop at a flashing red
and see you stop, without knowing your signal, and I proceed, then you
proceed through your flashing yellow, and we collide, I will be held at
fault for failure to yield. There is no course of action that I can take to
satisfy the law and its implementation.