[ale] Dual video on HP pavillion running Centos

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 21:32:32 EDT 2013

What an odd combination of hardware exclusions!

If you can "see" the on board chip with lspci then the proper driver should
be able to address it. Do swome digging with data from lspci and see if the
Intel chip can support dual output.

You might have to restart X to get it to "see" the new chip once and detect
dual monitor capability.

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

> So, we've been running Centos 6.3 on an HP Pavilion p7-1131 Desktop PC
> for about 1.5 years now.   And loving it.
>
> We now lust after running two 24" monitors for work.  No games, just two
> decent monitors at 1920x1080.
>
> The unit was delivered with an additional card: an HP 634478-001, which
> is an HP flavor of AMD Radeon, which has DVI and HDMI only. (no VGA;
> weird.)  If this card is present, then I've experienced that  it takes
> precedence, the onboard VGA goes dormant, and there ain't no BIOS setup
> options which pertain to making both of them play nice with each other.
>
> And the really interesting thing is that the system board has a DVI
> connector, which is mounted onto a header and goes through a port in the
> back.   And on the DVI port on the back is a black plastic cover screwed
> on which says "DO NOT REMOVE".    (reminds me of a 78 Alfa-Romeo sedan
> which had a sticker on the rear seats: "rear seats not to be occupied
> when vehicle is in motion".)
>

> Based on HP's website, the specs on the unit say:
>
> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Integrated graphics (DX10.1)
> *Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
>         Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards
>         DVI and VGA ports (both ports can be used at the same time)
>

> Curious-er and Curious-er.   This thing was shipped with Win7.
>
> Various HP articles indicate they stick those plastic covers on when the
> additional video card would have caused the onboard video ports to be
> disabled.   I don't see any way this thing would have driven the VGA as
> delivered.
>
> My inclinations are to try using the onboard DVI port, since I took the
> Radeon card out.  I'm trying to figure out how to figure out if the
> Intel video chip would fail to drive the two ports at full resolution if
> it could do one.
>
> Any reason to not try?  Is my dipstick gonna fall off?
>
> I'd have to get a DVI-to-VGA cable to hook up the 2nd monitor.  Can I
> just hook it up and run the Display Preferences utility and tell it to
> Detect Monitors?  Or do I have to reboot?  Reason being that I'm
> switching these two monitors back and forth with client notebooks.
>
> Neal Rhodes
> MNOP Ltd

James P. Kinney III
*