[ale] Web based file storage

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Jul 19 08:53:38 EDT 2013

On 07/19/2013 04:09 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
> Do any of you have a recommendation for a web based file storage system?  I want
> to have something that has basic authentication (i.e. can you see the files or
> not, doesn't have to get more granular), handles very large files (upwards of
> 20MB or more at a time), and can provide a tree navigation.  Revision control is
> not necessary so SVN/Github isn't quite what I'm looking for.  Essentially I'm
> trying to make a NAS with a web front end.  The users won't be able to mount the
> server directly so it has to be entirely web access for navigation and file
> manipulation.
>
> I was testing the dotproject file storage system and it's not exactly easy to
> use.  The server is going to run dotproject for doing the task management but I
> need something better for file management.

We replaced dotProject with Redmine about 3 yrs ago and have been extremely
happy. It has very lite file management, plus a wiki per project and you can
connect a code repo to each project (git/svn/cvs), if you like.  No indexing of
"documents", so the wiki really is the best way to capture project information.

Also, limiting the interface to just web-based GUIs doesn't mean you give up on
a solid back-end using whatever else you want.  WebDAV had lots of security
issues over the years and never took off due to that. There probably are many
more. There are implementations, but clients must support the protocol.

For file management, we used Alfresco for years. It is documentum strength, but
more like DocuShare until a custom interface is created. The default web
interface is a little clunky, but they have NFS, CIFS, webdav, and web
interfaces available.  The search and indexing was awesome.  It just became too
cumbersome to upgrade due to a poor choice that I made early on - no upgrade
path for the 2.9x versions.  These days, we provide only sftp access to the file
server and encourage key-based authentication. We index using recoll (completely
awesome!!!!)  Pretty much every platform supports sftp now with great clients.
WinSCP rocks for our Windows users.  Filezilla works for others and the ability
to mount using FUSE sshfs is very nice for those capable systems.

Or if you are Microsoft shop, don't they still give away Sharepoint?  It is yet
another way MS links more and more programs together so you can't leave. AD,
file/print, documents, internal web storage, MS-SQL, then add in all the CALs
and desktops ... soon a company is totally screwed on their MS software costs.
Of course, I'd never actually recommend installing sharepoint.