[ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon account

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Jul 15 17:54:11 EDT 2013

My responses inline.

On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 14:20 -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:

> inline
>
> Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
>
> >I have historically agreed on your view that Verizon has the best
> >coverage in the sticks.
> >
> >However, we are now several months into a comparison of Verizon and
> >Ting
> >(Sprint).   When we are traveling in the motorhome, we use my Verizon
> >phone for WIFI,  (for three notebooks, one tablet, and her phone)  and
> >my wife's Ting (Sprint) phone for voice.    We have one Wilson Sleek
> >cell repeater/amplifier with the little mag mount antenna.
> >
> >We have found this to be an excellent comparison of actual coverage
> >between carriers.
> >
> >        http://www.rootmetrics.com/check-coverage/
> >

> That's a cool site.  I played with it for a while.  If I had a smart phone, I'd probably load their app.  I looked at Jasper GA and the area south of Wooster OH that I'm interested in.  Verizon is pretty much the only game in town in those areas.
>
> >Thus far, we have yet to find somewhere that the Ting phone doesn't
> >work
> >for voice and the Verizon phone does.  Note that if you read the fine
> >print, Ting, being CDMA, will roam on the Verizon network for voice.
> >

> I find that fascinating.  What does ting charge if you're roaming?

Thus far no voice roaming charges at all, which is what Ting claims when
we asked.   I haven't spent a lot of time analyzing it, but I swear that
there were times when Pat had zero signal bars, and we used it for a 2
hour speakerphone conference with India.    How little signal quality do
you need for adequate voice?

> I wonder if my old verizon phones will work.

Guaranteed not to work.  All phones MUST have been Sprint, and not all
ex-Sprint phones work.   We bought my wife a reasonable refurb LG for
$80.  Basically, unless it's got an ESN Sprint recognizes, it ain't
gonna get activated.

> What if you're roaming most of the time?

That would be pretty hard to go, to always be in the fringe of Sprint
where Verizon has coverage, but theoretically, no extra charge for
voice/text.

> Regarding compatibility between carriers, etc., and the current business environment; if it had been this way in 1900, I think we'd have to buy 47 different adapters just to plug a lamp into a wall outlet.
>
> I think we should have mandatory compatibility regulations.

See above, and once you say CDMA, it's only Sprint and Verizon.