[ale] Riddle me this

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 09:31:54 EDT 2013

Hmm.  I'm currently writing an Android application in Dalvik, which is
Google's clone of Java.   My understanding is that the Dalvik VM is the
choice for android unless you have the luxury of tying your app to a
specific hardware platform.  You can easily get command-line access to your
android phone (the PC interface in fact has a "shell" command), but the
resources are available to you there vary by Android version and build.
Also, unlike the Linux on your PC, most of your users will not have root
access on their phones.  You won't have root either, unless you've jumped
through some more-or-less painful hoops to get it.

You can get a  C++ SDK for Android from Google ( the "NDK" for "Native
Development Kit"), and I believe that Eclipse has bindings for it.  Its
basic purpose is to allow developers to speed up processor-intensive code,
much as you would code some parts of a large C application in assembly.

-- CHS