[ale] Riddle me this

Richard Bronosky richard at bronosky.com
Mon Jul 15 09:29:15 EDT 2013

.!# RichardBronosky #!.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:
> Riddle me this, why is that apps for android, which we all know is
> Linux can play netflix, rebox, and other video feed, but Linux can't?
> I am shocked with the number android apps that are there out there,
> that no one has though of create an app like crossover for android to
> Linux. It should be easy enough.
>
> With Flash dead for Linux, a lot of site that use it are now only a
> later version, thus making Linux hard to view them, but these same
> site have apps that work on android.
>
> Am I wrong to think, most apps for android, are nothing but web apps
> any that that just have a nice interface that points to a url?
Yes you are wrong. The common way to create Android apps is to write
them in Java and then the Android compiler outputs Dalvik bytecode
rather than Java bytecode. Some apps requiring higher performance may
include libs compiled for the processor.

> Yes, I understand that android is written for Arm Processors, but you
> think it would be easy to re-compile them for Linux.
1. Not exclusively for Arm.
2. You can only recompile what you have the source for and that won't
include commercial streaming products.
3. To run the apps I think you would only need a Dalvik runtime and
something "Wine like" to provided the expected Android system hooks.

> Just something I been wondering about as I have to create a windows
> virt for my son to use club penguin and cartoon network, when cartoon
> network app on android does the same thing on web, but only makes it
> easier to spoon feed the masses.
The solution here is a cheap Android tablet.