[ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon account

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Jul 15 08:23:41 EDT 2013

I'm on a pay-as-you go plan with T-mobile.  No data.  It is down to $10/yr in
costs and less than $2.50/month if you look at it over the entire life of phone
and plan costs.  Clearly, I don't talk on the phone much, so if you do, this
won't work. It works perfectly for making new plans with people and when plans
change, however.

I just can't see spending $60+/month for what many people think they need for
convenience reasons. It just isn't me.   $700/yr or $10/yr?

I've looked into getting data when on travel, but I just don't need it around
here. T-mobile has daily, weekly, monthly data plans that can be enabled and
disabled as needed.  When my routine is broken and I'm not at home or work, that
is really the only time where a data plan might be nice. I hven't tried it,
since I mostly travel outside the USA.

Last trip, I stopped into the cellular provider and we tried to get a SIM to
work in my Nexus4. The SIM was incompatible for some unknown reason. A friend
got a SIM at the same place for his Galaxy 3-something and it worked immediately.

BTW, I don't usually buy candy or snacks or drinks at gas stations either.
"Convenience" has a high price. That is all that cellular phones are -
convenience. Sometimes we forget this.