[ale] Linux in Atlanta's public schools

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 07:57:23 EDT 2013

Just to be clear, this is not an issue with governmental bureaucracies.
Every organization reaches a "critical mass" where certain groups become
self-serving instead of group-serving. That's when the bureaucracy becomes
malignant. Large corporations have the exact same problem. Medium sized
groups have the beginnings of it but it's not yet an entrenched group of
self-serving people who can write the rules to benefit themselves with more
rules that benefit themselves. Big corps also have the mindset of "protect
my position at the expense of yours".

Small groups rarely have these problems. Instead, they get taken over by
self-serving individuals with dominant personalities. The remaining
group-serving people leave and the small group dies or becomes a cult.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Jay Lozier <jslozier at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:58:54 -0400, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> The real issue with that excuse is it's just an excuse. They can get
> outstanding support from RedHat or from local consultants. What they really
> want is some one else to blame when something fails. If the school provides
> all the support, not just reboot monkeys, then a system failure, or worse -
> data loss -, is due to the school technical team. The larger the the school
> system the more likely to want to shield the *decision makers* on the
> technical side. Remember the old addage "no ever got fire for buying IBM"?
> Well in school systems it's Microsoft and/or Apple.
>

> Two issues I see with governmental bureaucracies is that they will not
> change unless forced and most of the decision makers do not anything about
> any technical topic (not just computers/IT). The support issue is buck
> passing; something bureaucracies are good at.
>
> <snip>*
>  *
>

> --
> Jay Lozier