[ale] Android security bug

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jul 11 14:08:46 EDT 2013

Ben Coleman <oloryn at benshome.net> wrote:

>On 7/6/2013 11:33, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> Google implemented a Play scan for this bug. Apps from Google Play
>ONLY
>> have been checked. Other repos are vulnerable.
>> Now to see if phone vendors push an update. Not holding my breath.
>
>Bluebox has put out a free scanning app for this vulnerability:
>http://bluebox.com/corporate-blog/free-scanner-to-manage-risk-of-major-android-vulnerability/
>
>Surprisingly, my Samsung Galaxy Rush shows as patched.
>
>Ben
>--
>Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net | For the wise man, doing right trumps
>http://oloryn.benshome.net/     | looking right.  For the fool, looking
>Amateur Radio NJ8J              | right trumps doing right.

Ben,

Thanks for posting that.  I scanned my machine, an Acer A500 tablet.  I have Android 4.0.3, and it hasn't changed in some time.  Running an update check says I'm up to date.

The scanner says I'm vulnerable / unpatched, no malicious apps found, and 1 copy protected app that cannot be read.  It would be nice to know what that is.  Probably sky safari, since that's one of the few apps I paid much for.

So, JD, or anyone, what should I do now?  Has Acer released an update?  Are any of my existing apps likely to be affected in the future?  Is Cyanogenmod affected?  Should I go to that?  Can I still get Google Apps including Play if I do?  What?  What?

Sincerely,

Ron