[ale] Encrypting a file with multiple users?

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Wed Jul 10 12:31:50 EDT 2013

> I use rot13 for everything.

I use rot26 -- it's twice as good!
----- Original Message -----

From: "Richard Bronosky" <richard at bronosky.com>
To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:06:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ale] Encrypting a file with multiple users?

Brian Stanaland,
No mistake. "RSA key" is a valid thing in this context...

gpg --gen-key
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.13; Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Please select what kind of key you want:
(1) RSA and RSA (default)
(2) DSA and Elgamal
(3) DSA (sign only)
(4) RSA (sign only)

Not that I know anything about GPG. I use rot13 for everything.
.!# RichardBronosky #!.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Brian Stanaland <brian at stanaland.org> wrote:
> Yeah, my mistake. I meant gpg keys for encryption not rsa keys. We call them
> both keys at the office. Honestly, before starting this job a year ago, I
> had never done anything with GPG.
>
> --Brian
>

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Brian Mathis
> <brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com> wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean "RSA keys"? What software do you do this with?
>> Typically is would be GPG, but then I think most people would refer to them
>> as GPG keys.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Leam is talking about file encryption, not SSH.
>>

>> ❧ Brian Mathis
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Brian Stanaland <brian at stanaland.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We're using RSA keys. We encrypt the file with the key of everyone who
>>> needs access and then that file can be stored in a location accessible from
>>> anywhere. We also use RSA keys to send information via email or Skype.
>>>
>>> --Brian

> "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert
> Einstein

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo