[ale] OT need 600-1000W power protection for 3 minutes - cheap

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Jul 9 12:38:15 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:45:13AM -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> The more I think about my loads, the more I think I need a 1500 VA /
> ~ 900W unit.  A 1200VA/~700W unit might do it, but most product
> lines seem to jump to 1500 VA after 1000 VA.

I used to have big deep-cycle batteries hooked up to low-end UPSes.  The
inverters weren't actively cooled and ended up overheating themselves
during even moderate outages.

I replaced that pair of 325W units with with a single 950W/1400VA APC
Smart-UPS, which I purchased secondhand (sans batteries) for $150.  I
kept my old 35aH batteries, which ran me about $80 each when new.

My server closet sucks about 400W; during the last prolonged outage I
suffered, that pair of (two-ish year-old) 35aH batteries lasted just
under an hour before the low-battery-iniated shutdown occured.

> Based on prior discussions and my experience, I know APC is a good
> brand.  I also understand that, for the "smart" units, it can be
> hard to get linux to talk to it, if you want to use the auto
> shutdown software like apcupsd.  I think you guys told me before

Controlling modern APC units is no problem (they use USB).  Older ones
were only tricky because they required funky non-standard serial cables.

> Charles, thanks for the links.  I'll keep the buy batteries local
> idea in mind.  Might not be necessary with Amazon's free shipping.

I used to live a mile from an Interstate Batteries retail location; I
highly recommend that route as it usually worked out noticably cheaper,
especially with the larger batteries.

Oh, if you want to use oversized batteries that live outside your UPS's
enclosure, make sure you use appropriately heavy cabling -- my 950W unit
at full load will draw over ~50 amps out of the batteries, so 6-gauge
(or larger) wires were necessary.

> http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373381258&sr=1-1&keywords=br1500g

I've used the 1000VA versions of this unit, they're pretty solid, but I
never had a very high load on them.

The enclosures aren't as robust as they used to be (ie plastic instead
of literally bulletproof heavy-gauge steel) but the electronics (and
inverters) are smarter and more efficient than ever.  Not to mention a
usable control panel.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^