[ale] totally OT: hobbies

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 9 12:32:06 EDT 2013

Yes, but, as far as I know, not being in the spook community, they're not just vacuuming up every byte from every public server on the planet.  That would be prohibitively expensive and inefficient even for the government.  As I understand it, they've placed taps at key intersections of the data flow of the internet, like gmail, verizon, at&t, comcast, etc.  That way, they get 90% of the info they're interested in for 1/100 of the trouble and money.

So, since this message went through gmail, it probably already resides on an NSA hard drive.  And, with all those juicy words, it may have been "flagged" for further attention.  To each his own, but, I'm not sure poking the sleeping dragon is the best idea.  They really do have a critical mission to search for terrorists, with due process.  I appreciate that they're doing that.  But, not only that, I remember receiving an official letter from the FCC once that I wasn't expecting.  It was actually just a routine notice regarding my ham radio license.  But, just getting it was unnerving.  In general, the less communications I get from the govt., the better.

Sincerely,

Ron