[ale] AAAARRRRG! #@$%#$%$%^$% Don't upgrade K9 Mail!

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 09:51:16 EDT 2013

On Jul 8, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at naunetcorp.com> wrote:

> I can *not* be the only one for whom that raises several flags that say "yes, you need to update or remove it".
>
> Don't like K-9?  Fine.  Use something else that you'll keep up to date, or don't use an email client.  Don't put the rest of the Internet at risk because you don't like a UI change.

Which is fine.  Yes, it raises a flag.  But remember, this is a Linux *enthusiast* list, not a Linux *admins* list.  (although all topics are thoroughly covered here).  Remember there are complete novices, intermediate learners, and seasoned admins all on this list.  While he's a "big boy" and can take a few knocks, how many rookies did you just alienate and potentially scare away from asking questions for fear of being treated in a less than civil manner.

The age-old "don't be a dick" rule applies.

>> Mistake or not, I don't use Android, but am highly thankful people are posting their experiences, success, and failures here.  There's a ton of lurkers in this little list that will read his experience, and maybe just a few saved from a similar mistake seeing another member's pain.
>
> And I would hope that they, should they decide they do not like upgrading their K-9, go the responsible route and either cease using the software or find or write something else that they *will* keep up-to-date as time passes.
>
> Networked applications are something that must be updated, especially Internet-facing networked applications, which are the most vulnerable to, well, everything.

The secondary issue of keeping your networked applications updated notwithstanding, the initial reaction I was offering was to the statement:

-----%<snip>%-----
I'm sure Microsoft and Mr. Shuttlecock both feel that they have betrayed
you deeply and are very sorry for their transgressions. Oh, waitaminute,
back to reality here...

If it is possible, I don't want you on my Internet.  Seriously.  People
who do stupid shit like that are the reason I constantly bang my heads
against walls.

We all have the precise issue you're enumerating here (if we're admins) and I agree with the sentiment itself.  I'm just talking about delivery.  We all have to deal with the same stupid crap on a daily basis.  This list, IMO, is the opportunity to learn, exchange information, get better, and (yes) be civil to one another.  There's no reason to go all "get off my internet" to someone else on this list for any reason.

When I get annoyed at the incessant political speech or some of the crazy flamewars that ensue, I drop off the list for awhile and come back rather than try and jump all over someone.  I know me, and I know that if I get emotionally involved in $topic, it's just best I stay off-list for awhile.

All I'm asking is we be civil.  echo "$rodney_king_quote"

--j