[ale] help - how do I test usb ports, loopback, pc-pc

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Jul 7 19:39:09 EDT 2013

Well, I'm now more confused than ever, but I thought I'd pass along what I learned.

I found some USB loopback adapters from $ 50 - $ 150 but was unable to learn much about their capabilities.  I also found a USB protocol analyzer which is beyond my price range at $ 1200.

I did some rough tests on my laptop by continuously copying a 1 GB file to a memory stick and copying back to the desktop and letting the system rename the file each time.  Every time I got another copy of the file on the system, I checked its md5 sum.  I tried this in turn on every USB port on the system.  All the copies worked OK.

I loaded spinrite and ran it on the internal hdd.  That worked OK.

I loaded spinrite and ran it on a USB memory stick.  I tried this on each USB port.  That worked OK.

I loaded spinrite and tried to run it on the two external backup drives I have, attached to the USB port as before.  In one case, the computer hard crashes as before and the screen changes color and goes blank.  In another case, the machine locks up.

I loaded spinrite on another pc and ran it on the two external backup drives and it works great.

This makes no sense to me.  Since spinrite works great on the laptop in question with a memory stick, and based on the other tests, I believe that the pc and its USB controllers and spinrite are working fine.  I can only guess that the USB - SATA chips on the external drive enclosures are doing something funky.  Spinrite does't have its own USB drivers, at least in this version.  It relies on the bios to make the hdd visible and makes standard calls to the drive controller.  I think he'll be relying less on the bios in the next version.

I ran another backup, and this time, I get no errors on it.

So, it appears my computer is working fine after all.  I may have been the victim of an unfortunate coincidence in that I thought I saw errors on the backup and spinrite failed when I tried to run it.

I still have no idea why I can run spinrite on this computer with a USB memory stick and cannot with an external hard drive.

However, at least it appears that my pc is functional and ok.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm still entertaining suggestions.  I never did find a good way to test USB ports, but there seemed to be lots of interest in the topic based on my googling.

Sincerely,

Ron