[ale] Linux in Atlanta's public schools

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Jul 5 02:11:07 EDT 2013

This is one of the infuriating things that helped me get out of the
business.  It's as though the people that were hired to run and manage
computer systems aren't viewed as valuable; that they are
interchangeable commodities.  There is a key difference with FOSS; it is
meant to be figured out and understood deeply.  The things you're
working with aren't *products*; they're tools that are meant to be
picked up.  I wished people would stop to consider why this wonderful,
magic "support" was made to exist on the other end of the phone in the
first place, whereas the natural place for it is right under your roof.
FOSS empowers its users, but gaining that power requires work and
dedication.