[ale] [On Topic / Off Thread] Interesting sensors - was: Re: [OT] how do I monitor the "weather" in my computer room

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jul 4 14:33:22 EDT 2013

This is a deliberate hijack, just because it's related yet mostly
orthogonal to the original thread but interesting enough to stand on
it's own.  There are at least two other threads currently on this list
(including the hobbies thread and some previous threads on RPi projects)
I could have just as equally hijacked for this.

If certain individuals (including the OP in this thread plus several
others) think I have them in mind with this - you are correct.

I believe I mentioned in this thread about the DTH22 temperature /
humidity sensors wrt monitoring your home data center "weather"
conditions".  At less that $11 a piece from Amazon.com those are pretty
decent.

A couple of others have come to my attention (all of which could be
hooked up to an RPi, Arduinio, or Beagle)...

Waterproof temperature probes at about $2 a piece (quantity 10)...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CC7TGKO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice!  Not much more expensive than the bare chips.  Use them in
homebrewing or monitor your pool or your terrarium or your attic, etc,
etc, etc...  They're one-wire devices so they can all be bussed
together.  These are immersible and cheap.  Unlike the DTH22 sensors
that come with a sticker that says "I can not swim (yet)", these can.  I
don't think humidity is a concern with something you might
immerse.  :-)=)

Now...  For those of us who have some other concerns.  :-)  I ran across
this...

http://www.amazon.com/sunkee-Hygrometer-Detection-Module-Moisture/dp/B00AYCNEKW/

Now, that's intended for monitoring soil moisture in plants (and I
certainly intend on using a couple for monitoring my landscaping and
container gardens) but...  I've had several people ask me about
monitoring for water in basements (flooding, water heaters, freezing
pipes, condensation pumps, etc).  In the broadcast business we use to
use similar sensors for monitoring our 1,000ft+ towers for icing and
condensation conditions to control heaters on the towers - same
principle.  If this sensor can tolerate being buried in soil conditions
and survive, it can survive damn near anything else I can throw at it.

We're seeing more an more interesting toys out there.  I'm even seeing
lab stuff like pH sensors and such.  Sooo many toys...  Sooo little
time...

Regards,
Mike