[ale] HELP! Mint machine is booting from the wrong hard drive

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Jul 3 14:56:14 EDT 2013

On 07/03/2013 02:42 PM, JD wrote:
>>> and
>>>
>>> My backups and restores address all of this on Linux - 30 minute
>>> restores.
>>>
>>> If you **need** less, then you **need** HA and clustering.
>>
>> I could certainly live with 30 minutes.  Can you elaborate on the procedure and software you would use to backup and restore a personal (but important) linux machine which accounts for all these settings and parameters?  Assume the machine has totally crashed and you have to start with a new blank hdd.  Assume the machine is running Mint / Ubuntu / Debian if possible, since that's what I know.  (Well, I don't personally know Debian.)

Here's what some Debian Admins do.

Also, if you have 3+ systems, using something like Ansible starts to make more
sense to ensure consistent base packages and settings happen on a system.  I'm
working to get this happening, but just testing still.

I have notes for restoration order somewhere.  Backed up lots of times on many
systems, of course. ;) Plus, every system has a little bit different backup and
restore plan - based on what the box does and which DBMS it runs.