[ale] HELP! Mint machine is booting from the wrong hard drive

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Jul 3 10:59:24 EDT 2013

Hi JD,

I appreciate you, Jim, and Phil clarifying these issues for me.  I may, in fact, have to alter my backup strategy.  I can see the advantages that you mention for versioned backups.  On most machines, I have my data being backed up to Amazon S3 via Jungledisk every 6 hours.  That has some limited versioning capability and individual backups are incremental.

There is one compelling reason (for me) that I've always favored image backups despite the limitations you mention.  The absolute most important thing I want from a local backup, other than it being there when I need it, is for it to get me back up and running as quickly as possible after a crash.

I do hundreds of things to a pc during installation / reinstallation.  I configure the bios, OS, updates, patches, software sources, wifi, power settings, security, user accounts, icons, backgrounds, firefox, 6 or more firefox plugins, autorun / preview, dns, flash, swap, disk diagnostics, backup, fonts, themes, gnome panels, printers, java, libre office, pdf reader, online backup, user applications, user icons, remote control / assistance, email, synchronizing bookmarks, evernote, dropbox, ntp, etc.  I touch the options menu in most every major subsystem, application, and plugin.

For a Linux machine, it may take me 1 - 2 days to get it the way I want it.  For a Windows machine, it may take me 4 days.  That's partly because I may have more user accounts on a Windows machine, more varied applications, remote assistance, user interaction and training, and because Windows likes to reboot more than Linux does when you change anything.  Also, on a machine of another user such as a family member, I have a user account for me, one for them with admin rights, and one for them as a regular user.  All the application settings must be replicated on each account.

In any case, the very last thing I want to do when my machine or one of a family member crashes, if I have a choice, is to end up doing all those hundreds of things again.  With an image backup, I boot the backup software, restore the image, and I'm back up and running in a few hours.  With a clone backup, I put the backup hard drive in, and I'm back up and running in 15 minutes.  Then I replace the failed hdd and clone the clone so I have a backup again.

I'm certainly willing to consider alternative backup strategies, and I can see the advantages you mentioned.  But, if I cannot do a full system restoration in under 6 hours, with all the tweaks intact, it probably won't work for me.  I would guess that it's harder to store all the OS and app settings in Windows than it is in Linux.

Sincerely,

Ron