[ale] Linux in Atlanta's public schools

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 19:07:48 EDT 2013

I have been thinking for the past few weeks about trying to get my local
schools to migrate to Linux. It seems like a much-needed change. Technology
is becoming more important with each day that passes-- and the coverage of
it in the curriculum is disappointing, to say the least. I remember when I
was in Yeager middle school, not too long ago, the only class I had
pertaining to computers or technology was a class on how to use Microsoft
Word.

Computers are far too important, and other subjects becoming far too
deprecated(in my opinion), for coverage of technology in our schools to be
limited to how to use MS Word. It's almost insulting. Sure, there are
programs that the majority of people need to be familiar with, but kids
need to at least know about the basic components of a computer and the role
of the operating system. It seems to me a logical step - in order for the
children to gain an interest and actually learn, they need to be introduced
to Linux. Perhaps, then, we can see about adding some more technology into
the curriculum.

As I was researching this topic to prepare a statement for the Douglas
County Board of Education, I stumbled upon <a href="
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.ale/44438/">this</a>
posting. If anyone has any more information on this case, please let me
know. I haven't been able to contact the Board of Education yet, but I will
keep you all posted.