[ale] ssh clients

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Thu Jan 31 12:44:07 EST 2013

Since 2000, I've been primarily working from my Linux desktop, so I don't usually need an ssh client. Before that, I used WRQ Reflection. Sometime in the early aughts I switched to PuTTY for those times I needed an SSH client on Windows, and still use it. Recently I came across DameWare SSH Client , and it made me wonder about PuTTY alternatives.

DameWare's big claim to fame is that it has a tabbed interface and is supposedly as good as paid SSH clients. I can't recommend it. The terminal emulation doesn't work for me, it doesn't support public keys, and you have to use the tab interface--you can't open two separate windows.

I've also tried the Google Chrome SSH app which is beta and doesn't have too many bells and whistles, but seems to work fine.

I was wondering what SSH clients everyone else is using and/or recommending these days?

By the way, the DameWare is closed source, and the license contains this:

The third-party software contained in this Software may include or contain software licensed under the following licenses, GNU General Public License (“GPL”) or Lesser GNU General Public License (“Open Source Programs”). These Open Source Programs are licensed pursuant to a end user license agreement that permits the end user to copy, modify, and redistribute the software, in both source code and binary code forms. These end user license agreements can be located at: <http://www.solarwinds.com/support/3rdPartySoftware/3rdParty.htm>. Nothing in this EULA limits an end user’s rights under, or grants the end user rights that supersede, the terms of any applicable Open Source Program end user license agreement.

Hmmm, so it "may include" GPL code but it's closed source? That doesn't seem quite right.

Scott