[ale] Suse

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Wed Jan 30 16:05:43 EST 2013

Fine, just have CFLAGS="-march=native -O3 -pipe" in your make.conf
followed by emerge -e world (although it would be safer to start with
emerge -e system, make sure the build system still works, then emerge -e
world), come back in a while, and you're there.

I have long maintained that people are missing the point when they get
all hung up about the compiling when it comes to Gentoo.  And
practically no one who disses it works with it a lot.  I just like
having a stripped-down distro that I can build up to where I want it as
opposed to cut down to where I want it, with a robust and highly
adjustable packaging system, where the packages are not far removed from
the upstream maintainers' intent and current versions (in some cases,
*future* versions).

For the most part, the only time the compiling is really significant
time-wise is when you're putting in or updating the big stuff, like gcc,
xorg, Firefox, LibreOffice (and for those last two and some others,
there is a binary-only package available).  If you run a Gentoo house,
you tend to build up an instance to some point that you like (basically
an X-less setup prepared for your infrastructure, e.g., NTP, LDAP, and
sshd already set up), tarball it off, and push that tarball onto the
next machine(s) you want to stand up.  And if you still find yourself
waiting too long for compiles, fine - give yourself a little (or big)
distcc infrastructure.

I've used Gentoo for something like a dozen years and I learned how to
put up very nice and capable systems using it.  I've run it on
everything from VIA-based thin clients to i586es to Suns to 8-way
26-disk monsters.  I have a file server, a video ripper, and a couple
other machines running it here at home, two at school, and an instance
in VirtualBox in my MacBook.  They are my Swiss Army knives,my Porsches,
and my nunchucks. :)  They let me make the most out of most any
hardware, old or new, I can get my hands on.

It was my hope at one point that I could teach some guys what I'd
learned but that opportunity never materialized and I left the industry
instead (I got away from Microsoft hegemony only to land in a Red Hat
one); at least I can make use of my Gentoo capabilities in my new line
of work as needed without being given a lot of crap about it.