[ale] [OT] Google Maps Question

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Jan 30 11:39:53 EST 2013

On 1/30/2013 07:09, John Pilman wrote:
> On Google maps, there is a grey colored that encompasses my house. It is a
> large area that can easily be recognized if you look at the Cobb County -
> Cherokee County line. The area is bounded on the south by I-75, Chastain Rd
> and I-575. The northwest boundary does not coincide with any road.
>
> As far as I can tell the area does not match any municipal or county
> limits.  It is not a flood plane, military base or national park.  The
> shading does not match patterns on Yahoo maps or Mapquest.
>
> I have asked a few people and done some web searching, but I still don't
> know why that area is shaded.  Perhaps someone here has an idea.  I am not
> above being told how to google better :-)

If you were in North Korea that color would mean you were living in one
of the gulags. :)  (Google just recently filled in some of North Korea
with crowd sourced data including three major gulags in the northern parts).

I suspect someone was fooling around with Google Map Maker and uploaded
a region of interest.  There are very few vertices for the polygon which
leads me to belive it was just a test.  It doesn't track the roads very
well at all.  As an example of a well-tracking shaded region, look to
the southeast at Brookhaven, where Peachtree Dunwoody and Peachtree meet
(capped by Windsor and contains Oglethorpe University).  You'll see the
shading there fits the roads precisely.  There's another one further
south that outlines the Ansley Park area.  There's also
Hartsfield-Jackson's outline which also fits precisely with the roads in
some places (like Loop Rd).