[ale] public sharing of folders on linux - newbie question

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Jan 25 10:32:39 EST 2013

On 1/25/13 10:23 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Easiest way is to run httpd on your system and put public docs for
> read-only in ~/public_html
>
> If remote people _have_ to read-write stuff, then it's a bit trickier:
> NFS or samba (CIFS). NFS is standard *NIX way and windows users can't
> access it.You can use CIFS (samba) and windows users can access. You
> _can_ use both at the same but the file locking for writes get messy.
> *NIX _can_ access CIFS files pretty easy but windows has a hard time
> with NFS files.
At one time there was an MS add-on - "Services for UNIX" or some such,
and I can't remember if it was zero-cost or not and even if I remembered
correctly that status may have changed - that made mounting NFS volumes
possible from Windows clients.  But, as Bob Toxen once impressed upon me
years ago, *all NFS implementations are at least a little broken*. :)