[ale] need help allocating / limiting broadband bandwidth between users

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 22:57:28 EST 2013

If your master router would allow reflashing with opensource firmware and
has enough RAM just  do it. You can check on dd-wrt, tomato openwrt sites
first. Some needs to be flashed over ftp session some over http and etc.
But RAM is must. I reflashed one of mine with dd-wrt to find out that
starts to choke when you have too many connections going it has only 16 MB
i think so i reverted in back to factory.

On Thursday, January 24, 2013, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the input.  I've seen the name ASUS come up in this thread and
also in one previously and people seem to like them.  I think Scott
Castaline got one if memory serves.  These can also run a version of WRT so
I can get some advanced features.  I'm thinking that I'm going to replace
the master / central roter with an ASUS of one type or another, flash it
with WRT, and tinker with the QOS settings to give priority to my wife's
traffic.  Also, I'm going to leave her attached wirelessly to the NetGear
that used to be mine.  Hopefully, if the one she originally had did have
overheating issues, the one I was on, which is newer, will not.  I'm going
to be wirelessly attached to her old one, and if it turns out to be too
flaky to use, I'll replace it too.

> [...]
>>>
>>> The routers are configured as follows.  This may or may not work as a
>>text
>>> diagram.
>>>
>>> Old Setup
>>>
>>> Ron's wifi router (a) --->\
>>>                            Master wired router (c) ---> cable modem
>>> Wife's wifi router (b) -->/
>>>
>>> New Setup
>>>
>>> Wife's wifi router (a) -->\
>>>                            Master wired router (c) ---> cable modem
>>> Ron's wifi router (b) --->/
>>>
>>> Hopefully, if that diagram survives the email, you can see that she
>>has a
>>> wifi router and I have one.  Both of those are connected to a master
>>wired
>>> router that is connected to the cable modem which is connected to the
>>> internet.  Normally this works very well.  I like to keep her stuff
>>and my
>>> stuff on separate networks.  You might think, from this description,
>>that
>>> router (b) is failing.  And that is a possibility.  I'm prepared to
>>replace
>>> router (b) if I have to.  However, I'm not convinced.  I rebooted
>>router
>>> (b) and did a speed test and it's back up in the 28 Mbps range again.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if router (c) is getting confused during times when
>>both (a)
>>> and (b) are putting heavy demands on the link and trying to send /
>>receive
>>> more data in aggregate than the link is capable of.  If it's a
>>problem of
>>> bandwidth hogging by my stuff, I'd rather just curtail that and make
>>sure
>>> that her stuff has at least, for example, 3 Mbps up / 6 Mbps down at
>>all
>>> times.  All the routers are NetGear equipment.  The wifi routers have
>>QOS
>>> settings that I've tried to tweak in the past to address this type of
>>> problem.  I haven't had much success with that.  The wired master
>>router
>>> does not have QOS settings.  I have set up a 3 Mbps upstream
>>bandwidth
>>> limit on my router, but I don't have any option to limit downstream
>>> bandwidth.  My total upstream capacity is about 6 Mbps.
>>>
>>> I need to stick with off the shelf equipment here.  I could replace
>>the
>>> master router (c) if needed, or stick something in between my router
>>and
>>> the master router to limit my maximum bandwidth if necessary.  I
>>would be
>>> willing to reflash a router's firmware if necessary, but I have to
>>have
>>> something that resets automatically in case of a power failure.  I
>>don't
>>> really want to be running another pc just for this purpose.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

> Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9
Mail.