[ale] FTP files

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Jan 23 08:52:34 EST 2013

ftp IS "broken".   It does its login and transfers in clear text so is highly susceptible to sniffing.

That is why it was "fixed" by replacing it with more secure transfer protocols such as sftp/scp.

If we have a choice we always use sftp rather ftp.  If we must use ftp we insist on use of encrypted files.

I remember the old days when uucp was the way to go.   Also with the cu command you had ~get and ~put options.

One of the things I wish ssh had was that cu functionality.   Sometimes in the middle of a session you want to transfer a file one way or another and it would be convenient to simply hit a few keys to do that rather than having to open a new scp/sftp session.   (Of course if the file is small enough cut and paste will do the job.)