[ale] VPN connections at Emory

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Jan 22 17:39:55 EST 2013

> On 1/22/13 1:38 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> It is forbidden to connect a network device to such ports.  If it were
> policy to forbid any guest access to wired ports, then that connection

While it would not be polite to do this as a guest at a place like Emory,
as well as a ToS violation: when I travel, I carry a very small 4 port
switch, short patch cables and a dLink short range wifi AP.

I see there is now a new model..
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/access-points-range-extenders-and-bridges/dap-1350-wireless-n-pocket-router-and-access-point
(clicked, bought...)
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-1350-Wireless-N-Pocket-Router/dp/B003Q9AZHU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I can't find my odd brand micro 4 port switch anywhere online..
or I'd link it, it's some cheap generic crapola thing that works.

But I have to say, while travelling a lot, being able to patch into (with
permission) a fairly locked down network at a clients site is manna from
the network gods.

Other weird things: Polipo is an easy to setup proxy server for Linux
that I can often run (again, with permission) on a Linux server
to share some special access inside of locked down networks with ISA or
other not so friendly firewalls. This way I can proxy out of a DMZ or
restricted zone with decent access, and not have to join their network
(Windows ISA server or Cisco).

Again, I get the required permission first.. which is not always the IT
departments.. but I do let them know what I am doing.