[ale] tipping point for desktop linux (actually does something easy with scanners)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:40:24 EST 2013

I wonder if RAM shortage is an issue with my printer at home. Until a few
upgrades back, printing from a browser page was fine. Now, it crashes the
printer. If we print to file as pdf or podtscript then print the file from
an appropriate viewing tool, no problem. It doesn't seem like it is as the
conversion should be in the browser but I'm clueless on how it spits out
pdf or postscript for printing from firefox. BRScript is Brother's
implementation of "Not paying Adobe license fees" postscript V3.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM, James Taylor <
James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I agree that XSane is good stuff. Does everything I've needed it for.
>
> I have a Brother HL-4040cn color Laser, and the brother drivers work well.
> Unfortunately, the base printer doesn't come with adequate memory (64mb),
> and will error out a lot if you don't add the optional 512mb  memory module.
>
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> Brother has been pretty consistent with their Linux support. They have a
> few oddballs they don't have drivers for (label printers mainly) but their
> laser printers and MFC systems seem to be well supported.
>
> XSane is amazing! Once I removed the HPLIP stuff, I was able to use my HP
> OfficeJet 4130 (networked MFC with a keyboard and scan to PDF) directly.
> Then the magenta cartridge *sprung a leak *(brand new, HP brand, not a
> refill) and ruined the entire print engine. Still working on a replacement
> pump.
>
> Scan to emailed PDF is wonderful!
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
>
> > **
> > I had a weird new experience on Friday with linux.
> >
> > Our Brother MFC-440CN printer/scanner/copier had been refusing to talk to
> > the XP workstation that it's been connected to for about 10 years.   No
> > amount of fiddling was cajoling it into communicating.   We needed so
> scan
> > something for our business license.
> >
> > In desperation, I thought I'd just see if I could do something with our
> > Centos server to diagnose if the problem was the Scanner or the
> > workstation.    I could ping the scanner.
> >
> > To my amazement, I just googled "brother linux scanner" and found
> > Brother's website with Linux drivers, found the driver for the
> > Redhat/Centos/Fedora/64 bit flavor, found coherent instructions,
> installed
> > the driver, then used the Add/Remove software to install anything that
> said
> > "scanner", and voila, Xsane came up, found the scanner, and produced a
> > multipage PDF.    All within about 20 minutes.     And the directions
> > didn't contradict itself, and it ...just worked.
> >
> > I don't know about anyone else's experience with Linux desktop
> > functionality and vendor specific hardware, but I'm somewhat in shock it
> > was that simple.
> >
> > Neal

> James P. Kinney III
> *
> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
> at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own tail.
> It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> *
> http://electjimkinney.org
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
> *
>

> If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain