[ale] Semi OT: OpenGl

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:51:49 EST 2013

I just installed deb 6.06 fresh with minimal packages to run Xorg
Icewm Xterm etc. on ancient laptop with Savage video. For my surprise
everything works out of box (mainly no tweaks were performed to xorg
to get opengl working). glxinfo shoots 1800 frames in window  and 50
frames maximazed window fair enough for hardware that old. I installed
three Opengl based games: bzflag, gltron, foobillard. Foobillard works
so good (textures, lighting, reflections, good framerate). Gltron runs
like on software render (slow, messed up geometry, poor quality).
Bzflag causes my xorg server to freeze so I have to use power button.
This does not makes sense for me but I'm not familiar with OpenGl
programming and what Opengl libraries both programs use.

Some ideas ?