[ale] computers sometimes befuddle me

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:13:54 EST 2013

Various things are possible.  The case fan ran on the 5V bus that powers
the hard drives.  It was still running (just loudly) when I unplugged it.
Best guess is the shaft bearing was failing.  Motor noise on the bus is a
reasonable possibility, but I don't understand why that would kill the
video. The POST beep pattern I was getting was one Long, two Short, which
for an ASUS board means there is a significant video problem. For the past
several months, the behavior had been to rattle for a few minutes on
startup and then quiet down -- but remain running -- for weeks of uptime.

But, HELLO! It had just died!  The other computers taking up space in my
office are too old to handle more than a gig of ram, nor can they deal with
SATA drives. I blew all my computer budget on a new monitor last month, so
a new box is out of the question for now.

So when this one died and then magically came back to life again, I was
not about to start fiddling again in an attempt to solve the (interesting)
question of "why?"

The worthwhile adage is, "If it aint broke, don't fix it." :)

Sean