[ale] Perl coding style

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Jan 18 10:02:35 EST 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> I've noticed that most perl coders see to put subroutines before the main code.

In old perl style, file was parsed by perl line by line,
and the subs did not exist to be referenced by the main code unless they
were first. You would get errors for the subs.

Perl rocks.

For some problems:

If you aren't using perl to solve the
problem, you don't really understand the problem.

And of course, if you are using regular expressions to solve the problem:
Now you have two problems.

We use it a lot for Net::SFTP stuff automation, parsing crappy file
formats into SQL databases.. and general system admin stuff.
And serial communications using LibSerial.

Perl rocks.