[ale] Can't connect to port 53

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Jan 17 17:56:55 EST 2013

I have a vps system running bind9 that I can telnet to port 53 from the
local system but not from any other system (I tried three). See:

telnet localhost 53
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
}^]
telnet> quit

ifconfig | grep inet

inet addr:xxx.xxx.33.120  P-t-P:xxx.xxx.33.120 Bcast:xxx.xxx.33.120
Mask:255.255.255.255

iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

(from another host)
  telnet xxx.xxx.33.120 53
Trying xxx.xxx.33.120...

/etc/hosts.deny has some entries, but none for the host that can't
connect and all the entries are for sshd anyway.

Is there something else that needs to be configured?  Selinux doesn't
seem to be installed on this Centos 5.8 system.  No sestatus command, no
/etc/selinux/config file, etc.

Thanks,
Jim.