[ale] Would you like Spice with your KVM?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jan 13 09:55:00 EST 2013

I've been using NX for years too. My primary "desktop" runs under KVM in a
private cloud that I access from anywhere in the world through NX.  Got audio
working in NX yesterday for 1 desktop, but not the main VM (for some reason).
Both VMs have the same virtual spoofed audio devices presented by KVM. Today,
audio doesn't work in either VMs.  It could have been a left-over spice-audio
connection. I dunno.

Under spice, audio worked from the start.

With NX, I always feel like there is a little delay - not bad at all, but it is
there. It is consistent based on the distance. GigE connected with 1 switch
between the client and VM or over the internet 6K miles away, it doesn't feel
too different. NX definitely rocks. I like that I get to select the level of
compression used.

With spice, there might or might not be a delay based on my limited testing.
When there isn't, it feels like it is running local, faster than over X/Windows
on a fast LAN. When there is a delay, it can be multiple seconds.  This is why I
think there must be a setting that I'm missing.

Anyone using Spice?